Towards functional independence and a meaningful life! Develop foundational skills to achieve independence and skills to actively practice psychological flexibility on the road to a meaningful life.
So, Why the Happy Medium Approach? Who Can Benefit?
HMA is an approach for individuals who present with distinct characteristics in overarching skill categories indicated in the slide show below. The individual may have long histories in behavior analytic treatment, dual diagnoses, trauma histories, or other life circumstances. The slide show below is not an exhaustive list of skill deficits an interventionist can see while using HMA. It should provide some framework for identifying skill deficits that you might see in individuals that indicate HMA will be effective.
- Support individual with Direct Contingency Management, Indirect Contingency Management, and Rule Governed Behavior
- Design treatment for behaviors with multiple functions
- Special attention to social validity and flexible programing
- Successfully use language to support intervention
- Gain access to psychological flexibility programing like DNA-V, ACT, or Brief ACT.
Components of HMA
- Learning Happy Medium Language
- Happy Medium Approach Strategies
- HMA Case Conceptualization and Treatment Process Tool with Guide Questions
- HMA Program Bank
- HMA Treatment Plan Template
- HMA Interventionist Competency and Trainer Competency
- HMA Framework for Program Development
- HMA Supplemental Material
- HMA Program Evaluation
- Supporting Research
- The Noticing Grid
- ABC Skill Access
- Hierarchy of Reinforcement
- Known Preferred and Non Preferred
- Priority of Undesirable Behavior
- Shaping Down Undesirable Behavior
- Planned Use of Negative Reinforcement
- History of Trauma and Respect for Learning History
- Priority of Teaching New and Replacement Behaviors
- Systematic Increase in Demands
- Functionally Flexible Reactive and Proactive Strategies for Undesirable Behavior
- Team People Files
- Creating a Team with Clarity and Purpose
- Staff Directory
- Leveled (1-3) Interventionist Competency Assessment and Trainer Competency
- Case Conceptualization and Treatment Process Tool
- Treatment Plan Template
- Program Bank
- Supplemental Materials
- 7 Dimensions Program Evaluation
Approach Overview and Practice Based Evidence
Get your feet wet with our free Crowdcasts! They include a free CEU!
Ready to Purchase HML or HMA?
Want Individualized or Group Support to Enhance your Practice?
Enjoy enhancing your practice with Katy surrounding The Happy Medium Approach and Happy Medium Language. Talk programs, data, and the day-to-day flow!
Using the Mindful Action Plan (Moran and Ming 2020), broaden your repertoire of behavior analytic skills to include The Happy Medium Approach and Happy Medium Language. Add both of these powerful tools to enhance your practice or expand your competencies outside of your current targeted population.
Free HMA and HML Resources
When Extinction Isn't an Option
Language Pairings to Support Contextual Awareness
Planned Use of Negative Reinforcement
Making the Unpredictable Predictable
Teaching Emotions from an ACT Perspective
When Behaviors have Multiple Functions
All the Tops of HML